The Controller is a proactive business partner within the Company; providing leadership and management of financial activities, working with the Company’s leadership team and all departments and levels of employees to drive company growth and initiatives.
The Controller is primarily responsible for activities that enable the Company to optimize profits while mitigating risk, including budgeting and forecasting, cost and price analysis, cash management and ensuring adherence to internal controls and established processes.
- Provide annual and quarterly operating plans (budgets) and forecasts.
- Provide cost and price analysis -- at the Company-level as well as at the job, SKU, and customer levels.
- Performs the monthly closing and creates financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting practices.
- Provides internal financial reports for analysis, including reporting on KPI’s, actual vs. budget performance, actual vs. forecast performance, standard cost vs. actual cost, and so on.
- Prepare and/or oversee preparation of monthly balance sheet account reconciliations.
- Ensure that ERP system accurately reflects inventory values for plate steel and tank head stock.
- Ensure that ERP system accurately costs jobs for inventories and cost of goods sold.
- Provide pricing support to the Company’s Sales Team
- Track capital expenditures projects and maintain fixed asset detailed ledger.
- Oversee accounts receivable and accounts payable activities.
- Provide needed information to external auditors and tax professionals.
- Manage cash flow, including making projections, tracking and analysis.
- Monitor adherence to the Company’s debt covenants.
- Develop and maintain systems of internal controls that safeguard financial assets of the organization.
- Oversee office administrative functions, system file organization and record retention program.
- Oversee information technology systems, service providers and processes.
- Perform other duties as necessary in support of business objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- MBA, CPA and or CMA preferred
- 10 years of experience in an accounting role, including 5 years leading an accounting organization.
- 5 years of experience in manufacturing plant accounting/costing, preferably job costing
- Experience with ERP systems
- Experience with design and implementation of cost accounting system a plus
- Ability to exercise tact, courtesy, ethics, and professionalism when dealing with outside professionals, vendors, co-workers, and customers.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize several critical actions throughout the workday.
- Ability to quickly collect and analyze key pieces of data in time and efficient manner.
- Proficient in use of ERP software with strong knowledge of costing components
- Uses data to analyze and construct recommendations.
- Strong critical thinking and negotiation skills.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to lead productive cross-functional teams.
- Ability to work in a very dynamic and fast paced environment.
- Strong sense of urgency and excellent problem-solving skills.
- Strong Microsoft Excel and database skills.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting practices and internal controls.