The Payroll Supervisor provides direct supervision and day-to-day to direction to the Payroll Associates on their team within the HR Shared Services organization. The Supervisor is also responsible for processing weekly and biweekly payrolls in an accurate and timely manner. This includes but is not limited to processing garnishments, child support tax levies, related deposits and payments, and the reconciliation of related general ledger accounts.
- Actively supports the Company’s commitment to safety and its “Core Values”.
- Represents the Company at all times with high moral standards while adhering to the Company’s “Code of Business Conduct and Ethics”.
- Oversees and directs their Payroll team in completing weekly and biweekly payrolls; processes their own assigned payrolls, as well.
- Maintains payroll deductions and contributions for benefits and garnishments.
- Maintains employee payroll records.
- Responds to and resolves payroll questions from employees and escalated problems from other payroll personnel.
- Generates and reviews various payroll reports to validate and ensure accuracy of data.
- Researches discrepancies and questions regarding payroll.
- Reconciles payroll-related general ledger accounts.
- Assists in building efficient processes and systems while providing world-class support to our employees and the business.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices.
- Actively participates in continuous process improvement initiatives and change management.
- May serve as a subject matter expert for Payroll on projects for the department as well as projects across the organization with Benefits, HRIS, Tax, Labor Relations, IT, and others as needed.
- Recommends policies and procedures relating to the payroll practices of the Company.
- Interviews, hires, trains, and terminates subordinate personnel. Establishes employee goals/objectives and works with team to ensure goals and performance standards are achieved
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, participating in professional organizations, etc.
- Assists in processing, printing, and distributing W-2s.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required or assigned.
- 5+ years’ experience processing multi-state payroll; previous experience in the construction industry and/or with union payroll strongly preferred.
- Previous supervisory or lead experience preferred; previous experience working in a shared services environment a plus.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and customer service skills with a focus on the employee experience and continuous improvement.
- Strong computer skills, including experience with payroll software, MS Word, Excel, and Outlook. Previous experience with UKG payroll strongly preferred.
- Strong organizational skills required; must be self-motivated.
- Strong detail orientation; must have the ability to analyze information and identify discrepancies.
- Ability to handle confidential information a must.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed to meet workload demands.